Meshing with SnappyHexMesh How to get the best mesh from SnappyHexMesh snappyHexmesh.com
OpenFOAM to Fluent How to convert OpenFOAM mesh to Fluent Mesh FoamFluent.com
Forces in OpenFOAM How to calculate lift and drag coefficient in OpenFOAM force_foam.com
Mass Flow Rate FOAM How to monitor mass flow rate in OpenFOAM massflow_Foam.com
Underhood CFD OpenFOAM Underhood CFD Simulation for Automotive Truck openfoamTutorial.com
OpenFOAM Meshing Study How to create Porous and Rotating Zone with OpenFOAM foamMeshing.com
How to calculate lift and drag coefficient in OpenFOAM
To be able to output lift and drag coefficients on a patches or boundaries , once much have to modify controlDict file within system directory
functionObjectLibs ( "libforces.so" );
CofR ( 0 0 0 );
liftDir ( -0. 0.9 0 );
dragDir ( 0.9 0. 0 );
pitchAxis ( 0 0 1 );
Boundaries where you would like to monitor the forces, drag or lift are written within the patches.
Some additional parameters which are important for cd and cl calculation should also be specified
· OutputInterval : internal at which output will be reported
· rhoInf : is the free stream density.
· MagUinf : is the magnitude of the free stream velocity.
· Aref : referece area
· liftDSir and dragDir : Lift and Drag direction vectors are specified
· The forceCoeffs functionObject prints out the lift and drag coefficients.
· See the sonicFoam/ras tutorial: system/controlDict